In yet another way the social networks are working toward the greater good, viewers can now make YouTube video donations to nonprofits.
YouTube has begun rolling out its new feature in the U.S. – with plans to expand to other nations soon – through which YouTube creators can attach to videos donation cards raising money for a favorite charity or nonprofit organization.
“YouTube has over a billion users,” boasts the YouTube blog. “That’s almost one-third of all people on the Internet. And everyday those users watch hundreds of millions of hours of video, racking up billions of views – which are now billions of opportunities to do good.”.
The major social networks are increasingly looking at ways to support nonprofit organizations in a number of ways, certainly not the least of which is providing an array of tools through which users and viewers and donate directly to organizations. Facebook, for example, has promised a way for nonprofits to raise money directly from the organization’s FB page.
Twitter has long been active in promoting #GivingTuesday each week after Thanksgiving. And Google, which of course owns YouTube (and GooglePlus) has a deep toolbox for nonprofits through its Google for Nonprofits program.
The YouTube donation card feature will especially help nonprofits and supporters who are particularly active on the world’s biggest video platform.
For the system to work for your favorite nonprofit, it must be registered with YouTube. We’ve discovered that nonprofits registered with and using Google for Nonprofits are not necessarily also listed with YouTube. If not, you will want to encourage your favorite nonprofit to correct this.
The YouTube Help Center gives precised instructions on how to add a donation card to videos:
Before you start: Choose a nonprofit to support. You can choose any United States, IRS-validated 501(c)3 public nonprofit organization. Nonprofits are not endorsed by YouTube or Google. Learn more about YouTube for Good.
- On a computer signed into your YouTube account, go to your Video Manager.
- Find the video you want to add cards to and select Edit. This can be a new video that you create specifically for the cause or a video that you’ve already uploaded.
- In the tab bar at the top, select Cards.
- Select Add card.
- Next to “Donation,” click Create.
- Type the name of the nonprofit you want to support into the search box. Choose it from the list of available nonprofits and then click Create card. You may have to choose an image, first.
- Customize your card:
- Enter the title and teaser text.
- Click Change image if you’d like to choose another image from the category images.
- Click Create card.